The original “Dream Team”, the 1992 U.S. Olympic basketball team was the first comprised of NBA players. Timing and events conspired to allow it to come together at the pinnacle of NBA popularity, and at a time when arguably some of greatest players in the history of the game were still playing.
Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, David Robinson, Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, and Clyde Drexler all on one team. Christian Laettner of Duke was the loan collegiate member of the team.
For a passionate basketball fan and coach who grew up on basketball in the 80′s, it just didn’t get any better than this team. It was a dream come true for me then, when I was able to watch them play live in June of 1992 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon.
What in the World Does This Have to Do With Marketing?
Well – as a business owners, bloggers, and inbound marketing enthusiasts, I think that most of us find people within the industry that we not only follow, but look up to, admire, aspire to emulate, and even dream of one day working with. These people make up our Content Marketing “Dream Teams”.
Getting to the Point
I’m very excited and incredibly honored to announce that I am going to have the opportunity to work with 3 of my “Dream Teamers” on a contest that I’ll be writing about tomorrow.
Marketing “Dream Teamers”
1. Gini Dietrich: the defensive specialist. The determined, focused, and tireless founder of Arment Dietrich, author of the SpinSucks blog, co-author of Marketing in the Round, a nationally recognized industry speaker, and a recent NaNoWriMo participant.
The community surrounding SpinSucks is one of the most engaged, committed, and enthusiastic that I have found on the internet. Gini publishes daily – she is humorous, sarcastic, honest, informative, entertaining – and very giving to her community.
2. Craig McBreen: the two guard – patiently waiting for his opportunity to launch long thoughtful 3 pointers to keep the opposing defense honest. Craig is the founder of McBreen Designs, the author of the Craig McBreen blog, and The Art of Breaking Out: My NOW Manifesto.
Craig is the “blogger next door”. He is a thoughtful, motivational writer, willing to share his successes, failures, and fears – modeling and writing about what it takes to build a successful business, a successful blog, and a successful person.
3. Marcus Sheridan: post player – our “go to” player in the paint (how tall are you Marcus?)! Count on Marcus to do the heavy lifting that is needed for success: fighting for position, rebounding, blocking out, tough defense, and strong moves to the basket. Marcus is the founder of The Sales Lion, is a well known national speaker, and the author of The Sales Lion blog, Inbound and Content Marketing Made Easy eBook, and the Mad Marketing Podcast.
I’ve been following Marcus for a couple of years. What I’ve loved about his blog, besides the obvious passion and great content, is his willingness to share his successes and failures. He is going through the same process as many of us, and we can look to him for inspiration, a successful role model, and honest advice. He also tirelessly engages with, shows appreciation for, and helps out his community.
Crazy right!?! Pinch me – no, on second thought – don’t!
“I look to my right, there’s Michael Jordan . . . I look to my left, there’s Charles Barkley or Larry Bird . . I didn’t know who to throw the ball to!”
~ Magic Johnson, on his teammates (June 28th, 1992)
Your turn. Who would make up your Content Marketing Dream Team?
Latest posts by Brent Carnduff (see all)
- Goolge Updates Local Search Algorithm (Pigeon Update) - July 28, 2014
- Google Adds SEO, Web Design and Marketing to Local Search Results - July 26, 2014
- Subscription Website & Marketing Packages – WP Subs - July 10, 2014